Mathematics in the Foundation Stage
Foundation Stage children explore numbers and mathematical concepts through a high quality play based curriculum.
- Count reliably with numbers from 1 to 20
- Place them in order and say which number is one more or one less than a given number.
- Using quantities and objects, add and subtract two single-digit numbers and count on or back to find the answer.
- Solve problems, including doubling, halving and sharing.
Shape, space and measures:
- Use everyday language to talk about size, weight, capacity, position, distance, time and money
- compare quantities and objects and to solve problems
- Recognise, create and describe patterns.
- Explore characteristics of everyday objects and shapes and use mathematical language to describe them.